Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Developing New Knowledge: "Factness" Excercise with Inquiry Topic

Whom could I talk to who could provide me with information that has factness about this question?

I was thinking about talking to my peers in my other composition courses and finding out their opinions on teacher comments they receive. Also, to tackle the subject of what teachers should be putting on papers I could see what professors have been putting on them. I can analyze the feedback they give students and get their reasoning on why they chose that method of response to their students’ work. Then, I could take that and compare it to what students feel about those methods.

What could I read that would provide me with information that has factness about this question?

I could read articles written by composition theorists. Also, I could look for articles or blogs written by classroom teachers to see what they have been using in their classrooms and e-mailing them to find out how the students respond to it. I have already found some articles on JSTOR that seem to correspond well with my topic and they are written by scholars so I know they are valid.

What else could I do besides talk to people and read to acquire information or factness about this question? (Jolliffe 75)

I could observe in classes when students get papers back and see their reactions when they are reading it over. I could conduct surveys with my peers to get their opinions on what type of feedback is beneficial to them and what methods they dislike. Also if time allowed and it was possible, I would like to see what comments they take in consideration when editing their papers and which ones they disregard. I do not know if this answers the question but I am unsure right now how I would go about this.

No comments: